The evil Lich King Ner'zhul has been imprisoned inside the Icecrown glacier, deep within the arctic continent of Northrend. Although the former Orc Shaman lacks physical form, his soul lives on, forever seeking a means to escape his icy prison. As the saga continues, it is revealed that both the Night Elf renegade, Illidan, and the traitorous Death Knight, Arthas, seek the Icecrown glacier and the mysterious powers found inside. To save all of Azeroth from the forces of darkness, players must traverse uncharted lands and battle treacherous new enemies while uncovering the schemes of these nefarious beings.
- 4 single-player campaigns, including a bonus RPG-style mini-campaign designed to demonstrate the power of the world editor.
- 4 new race-specific Heroes, each with a complementary set of powerful spells and abilities.
- 2 new units per race, adding depth to the strategies and tactics that players can employ.
- 3 new tilesets, featuring new lands to explore and numerous new creeps and critters.
- Player-built shops, equipped with items uniquely designed for each race.
- 5 neutral Heroes that players can recruit to strengthen their armies, such as the Dark Ranger and the Pandaren Brewmaster, each with unique spells and abilities.
- New neutral buildings that provide players with additional units, new magical items, and a new mode of transportation.
- Expanded multiplayer options over Battle.netŪ, including clan and tournament support.
- Numerous new multiplayer maps.
- An enhanced world editor that allows players to create and connect their own custom campaigns, complete with cut-scenes and voiceovers.