The Movies is a "life simulation" game that lets players build and control their own Hollywood motion picture studio. Players create unique mini-trailer-style movies choosing everything from script selection and the hiring of cast and crew, to film production and premieres. Gamers build their entertainment empire by making hit movies, researching and introducing the newest cinematographic technologies and nurturing the biggest stars. Created by renowned developer Peter Molyneux of Lionhead Studios, The Movies takes life simulation to a whole new era, and as such is set to be a ground-breaking smash hit.
- From Dirt Lot to Bustling Studio - Beginning in the 1920's, gamers start with a dirt lot and race to the year 2020, researching and introducing every technological advance from colour to computer graphics and beyond. Players build, use and re-use thousands of sets, props, locations and costumes, and break new ground to achieve movie mogul status.
- From Pitch to Premiere - Gamers handpick which projects they want to green-light and which scripts need rewrites. Players can remake the films they love or create an all-new masterpiece.
- From Flops to Runaway Hits - Players can make every kind of film, from action flicks to teen comedies, suspense films, thrillers and horror movies. Gamers can explore different film genres to please audiences and express their creative vision. Players can either go for a box-office smash, or try pleasing the critics and winning awards.
- From Nobody to Movie Mogul - The Movies gives gamers the opportunity to be a mega-rich bigshot, calling the tunes and hiring and firing the best. Players will choose between listening to the stars' tantrums and ridiculous requests, or showing them who's boss by crushing their dreams and ruining their careers as they create a distinctive Hollywood legacy and earn their place as a silver screen legend.
- Movie Magic Goes Global - Ultimately, gamers are judged by the movies they create. Players can post their short movies to the Web for the world to see or e-mail them directly to friends.