SACRED challenges many of the known conventions of PC role-play gaming. Emphasis is placed on the six player characters, each having their own unique skills and abilities, along with a different in-game starting point and storyline to introduce them. Of the six characters, the Gladiator (close combat fighter), Wood Elf (ranged weapons) and Dark Elf (martial arts assassin) are the typical RPG characters. SACRED introduces the Seraphim (mystical angel), Battle Mage (hard hitting magician with both swords and spells) and the Vampiress (knight by day, blood-thirsty vampire by night).
SACRED does not limit the player's appetite for exploration and discovery. Over 70% of the kingdom of Ancaria is free to explore, straight from the start, with the remainder being unlocked further into the interactive story. The kingdom is huge, with over sixteen different regions, each containing many settlements, villages and towns. Each town features sub quests, with over two hundred to complete, intertwined within a central quest of over thirty main missions.
SACRED brings many new game play features to the RPG genre. Players are able to create 'combos' - groups of attacks, spells and abilities, which can be linked together into one overwhelmingly powerful sequence. Creating the combo requires the player to 'study' with a skill master; once trained they present a force to be reckoned with. Players are also able to take to the saddle; riding a steed across the great expanses and also into combat, attacking from horseback.
- Six uniquely playable characters, differing in fighting style, special skills, magic and character design. Each character has a unique world start point.
- Freedom of exploration! More than 70% of the world is open to exploration at the beginning of the game. The remaining 30% gets unlocked as the story progresses. 16 different regions including forestland, ice-covered landscapes, mountains, deserts, catacombs, and much more.
- An epic story line with over 30 main missions and 200 sub-quests, plus additional bonus quests for the more determined adventurer.
- Up to four combat moves and magic abilities can be combined freely to one-click-actions for individual tactical game play (plays like a fighting game combo).
- Over 300 named non player characters to interact with, each with their own re-active conversation and purpose.
- Horseback combat - Strike down enemies with close-combat, ranged weapons and magic attacks whilst in the saddle.
- Over 2500 weapons - many of which can be combined and are unique to the player's character. In addition, the 'Smithing System' allows players to individualise weapons and armour, upgrading them to a more devastating level.
- Two multiplayer game modes include both Internet and LAN support for up to 16 players.