Lumines brings a unique puzzle experience to PSP handheld system owners, offering gameplay reminiscent of Tetris while including new innovations and enhancements in technology that fuse music, puzzles and luminescence. Users are challenged to delete blocks from the game screen while grooving to evolving musical scores of rock, techno and pop grooves. Lumines offers numerous levels of graphics and music with single-player, wireless multi- player and bonus modes. Earn changeable skins and increase amount of collectible characters.
- A Simple Puzzler: Users are challenged to control a block until it lands on the ground, creating a square using blocks of the same colour. In order to delete the shape from the field, it must be larger than 2 squares by 2 squares. The larger the square you delete, the higher your score.
- A Unique Puzzler: Any expanded square regions will be deleted when the Sequencing Bar passes by. A player's success is determined by how far you can expand the square regions in order to delete large boxes at once.
- In Sync: Each key action generates sound effects. The flow of the Sequencing bar and the speed of the descending block are synchronized with the beat of the background music. Once a block is deleted, a music file is played. The more blocks destroyed in a sequence, the better the music.
- Single Player Modes: Enjoy 24 stages of graphics and music in Challenge Mode, race the clock and beat the odds in Time Attack Mode, earn graphical skins and avatars as you battle CPU characters in Duel Mode and draw shapes with blocks in Puzzle Mode.
- Multi-player Functionality: Through Wireless LAN technology, the user can compete with an opponent in the "VS." Mode.
- Multiple Game Stages: Four stages, each with its own musical theme and sound effects, offer increasing levels of difficulty tied to beats-per-minute.
- Changeable Skins: Users can earn graphical skins as they clear various stages throughout the game. Skins can then be changed to the users liking, much like a media player.
- Collectible Characters: Players can increase their collection of characters by beating CPU characters and clearing stages. They can show off their Lumines skills by using the characters they've earned as an avatar, giving themselves a unique identity.