- Number of cars: 97.
- Manufacturers: 10.
- Courses: 44.
- TV-style replays with dynamic panning and tracking shots.
- New weather effects (such as rain), car effects (such as headlights), and environmental effects (such as shimmering streetlights).
- Improved graphics and track detail, physics engine, and sound effects (better downshifting sounds, for example) yield a more enjoyable and realistic driving experience.
- Addictive, new "Drift Combo" minigame -- go for the most consecutive powerslides/drifts to unlock additional cars and courses.
- New voices have been added (GT Advance 1 didn't have any).
- Differences between US and original Japanese version: 2 players (via link cable both need a copy of the game to play).