The Freedom model allows all players to reach level 50, play over 1000 missions, access to 45 different game zones and choose from any of eight separate character archetypes. Players do have the option to purchase additional content if they wish via the in-game store.
"Our fans have come to expect great content and with City of Heroes Freedom we've clearly raised the bar by delivering the best gameplay we've ever developed, and giving players the choice to truly customise their gaming experience" said Brian Clayton, Executive Producer at Paragon Studios. "We aren't just flipping a switch and going 'Free-to-Play.' We're embarking on the biggest content and feature update to City of Heroes in its seven-year history."
The latest patch, Issue 21: Convergence, is also available containing:
- New Zone: First Ward, the training and testing grounds for some of Praetoria's most elite forces and sinister weapons, is where players will encounter all new threats, including the massive zone-wide event, the Seed of Hamidon.
- New Epic Challenges: The Underground Incarnate Trial takes place deep below the streets of Praetoria, in the secret lair of the Devouring Earth. Those strong enough to break through their stronghold may reach the devastating Avatar of Hamidon for a final showdown of epic proportions. Up to 28 players can team up to fight new menaces and unlock great rewards.
- New Power Sets and Costumes: Time Manipulation (free for VIP Players), Beam Rifle and Street Justice represent just the beginning of new powers coming to players with City of Heroes Freedom, while the Barbarian and the Circle of Thorns Costume Sets, as well as the IDF and Defense Costume Sets (free for VIP Players) add even more options to the millions of customisation options at a players' fingertips.
- New Starting Experience: Puts new players right in the middle of the action, giving them access to all archetypes with no alignment restriction. During the new starting experience, players will have the opportunity to determine whether they ally with the forces of good, or harness the powers of evil.
- New Missions: The debut of monthly Signature Story Arcs (free for VIP Players), enables players to play a key role in the main storyline as they fight alongside iconic heroes and villains and discover which of Paragon City's premier heroes will die!
- New Rewards: The Paragon Rewards program is our way to thank players for investing in City of Heroes and provides new and unique in-game rewards designed around each player's unique tastes and play style.